Wednesday, November 26, 2008

New Day, New Goals.

Hello Hello!
I don't know about where everyone else is living, but it is absolutely
GORGEOUS outside today! I can't wait to get my running shoes on and go exploring. But first...some much needed blogging =]

So yesterday I did a little grocery shopping fo
r the last 10 days or so that I'm going to be at school. For the most part I eat all of my meals in the dining hall, however, I am a snack MANIAC so therefore, always keep a substantial amount of food in my room. I didn't go overboard this time though, because whatever I don't eat either needs to come back home with me or sit in my room until the end of January- ick!

So here are a few things I managed to purchase, which I'm actually really excited about =]

Of course I picked up more of my favorite go lean bars, and a new Luna bar (for me) to try. But do you see that little guy in the corner? That's right folks, a fiber one protein bar! Chocolate Peanut Butter flavored!!! I'm not sure if this one is going to make it back to college =]


So remember that free granola bar I got in the mail last week? Well, along with it came a dollar off coupon for any Quaker Simple Harvest item. And since I finished my kashi oatmeal before I came home, I figured- why not try a different kind?! It's pretty high in sugar, which scares me a little, but I LOVE maple, and brown sugar, and pecans! So it was bought and WILL be eaten.
Now, about these oatmeal squares. They ring in at 210 cals for one cup, and to be brutally honest, anything over 200 cals is normally off limits for me. So why did I buy these? Simple. Because I like them. And I need to challenge myself! I'm really proud of myself for purchasing them, because when I spend my money on something, and it's sitting in my dorm, I will eat it. And I can't wait!


TODAY'S GOAL!
Let me start off by saying that I have gotten into a pretty bad habit. I've discovered that I do eat when I'm hungry, but I eat the lowest cal stuff I can find (last night I was hungry, so I ate carrots with mustard! Sound gross? It is.) And as I was munching on those, I began to question why I even bothered in the first place. I wasn't enjoying it, so how am I supposed to be more comfortable with eating?! So I am trying something new today. I am going to mix up different flavors and see what happens. I am going to eat new things, and savor those things, and learn to love eating (and with Thanksgiving tomorrow, I don't think the flavor thing will be TOO big of an issue =]) So I decided to start with my morning coffee. Instead of using skim or soy milk (which does taste good, don't get me wrong!) I gave this a whirl-
It's higher cal, but honestly....my coffee was DIVINE! Totally worth it! My mom needs to watch out, because I might have just finished this little carton =]

Also, I was walking around the grocery store yesterday and noticed this on sale:

Now, I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with it, but I love pumpkin so into my cart it went! We don't have any oatmeal here, so I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas? I have cottage cheese. Would that taste good? Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!!!


I hope everyone enjoys this day, and if your parents are cooking tomorrow (or if you are!) enjoy it, give the cook a helping hand (and get as much done tonight as possible!). And as you are creating something out of nothing, take notice to how AMAZING your body is. It's mobile, it's smart, and you are making an amazing feast out of seperate ingredients so that your family and friends can get together, appreciate one another, and enjoy life to it's fullest- interesting word choice for Thanksgiving, eh? =]

13 comments:

  1. Morning, love!
    Oh my gosh- now that you mention it I find myself sometimes searching for the lowest cal snack when I am hungry. Thanks for opening my eyes. I am going to work on that today, with you :)
    And I LOVE Libby's pumpkin puree. I add it to oats or just mix it with Peanut Butter! But, make sure to sweeten it with Agave Nectar, honey, or Splenda! I also warm mine up sometimes, then add PB, then Agave- SOOOOO good!
    Have a wonderful day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love anything pumpkin!!! try a pumpkin spice smoothie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin pancakes/waffles, in cereal or yogurt, with cream cheese and agave, etc. have fun experimenting! :)

    have a wonderful thanksgiving dinner and enjoy your time spent with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

    okay i am in a rush but this post is calling my name ahaha. i can TOTALLY RELATE TO YOU HERE:
    "Let me start off by saying that I have gotten into a pretty bad habit. I've discovered that I do eat when I'm hungry, but I eat the lowest cal stuff I can find (last night I was hungry, so I ate carrots with mustard! Sound gross? It is.) And as I was munching on those, I began to question why I even bothered in the first place. I wasn't enjoying it, so how am I supposed to be more comfortable with eating?"

    like, at night, when i am hungry, it gets hard. i usually eat a small pc. of fruit, but as i roll around in bed, so hungry, i always get something more substancial. and i think why did i even get the damn orange? i know i need more. so annoying. we should talk about this soon. thats so aweosme u are challenging urself. that is my goal too and especially now being home with all these yummy ingredients it will be soo sososososo fun!!
    you mentioned we are the same person--but after reading this i TOTALLY CONCUR.


    and about the pumpkin? look at my post that i did today. pumpkin bbq chix pizza! and i am sure it would taste splendid with leftover turkey if ur not a vegeterian. but it tastes so good in sandwhiches and on toast with PB. but also, pumpkin w/ cottage cheese & sugar (i am weaning away from splenda) is so delicious. i had that as a snack today too. Enjoy girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Lee, I always grab an apple when I'm hungry and then I ask myself "Why did I even BOTHER eating that? I'm even more hungry now that I tricked my body with a simple piece of fruit. I need more!" It's just bringing myself to do that which is difficult!

    I tried the pumpkin with a little bit of splenda and yogurt on top. It was OKAY. Nothing special...but I was going to try it on a sandwich thin with my veggie burger but I didn't because I get stuck in a rut for dinner where I eat the same thing RELIGIOUSLY! I need to stop!!
    Maybe I'll give it a try on Friday (I would tomorrow but we all know there is going to be MUCH better food instead!)

    Stay strong tomorrow girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love pumpkin! I just used it in my oatmeal today! I have also mixed it with cottage cheese or spread it on top of waffles. Yum! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a fabulous Thanksgiving! I hope you enjoy it to the "fullest" as you said, <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish we had those Crunchy Kashi bars! Those look so darn tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy- Thank you!!!

    Sharon- do they not sell them near you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! I'm glad I found your blog since we seem to be recovering at the same time..... yay for that! i'm definitely going to keep reading and add you to my blogroll! love, elise

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, DEFINITELY enjoy your Thanksgiving, Laura!! You deserve a wonderful holiday celebration :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a goal I am working towards too. It's so cool that you can observe things that are going on in your life like that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I recently just discovered my love for pumpkin also! I seriously put it on/ with anything I can. The other day I had a cottage cheese, pumpkin, cinnamon sandwich ( i hear its great with honey also) and I highly recommend it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Katie- I saw that sandwich you made and I'm definitely going to try it tomorrow! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete