Saturday, November 29, 2008

Pumpkin: where have you been all my life?!

I have fallen in love over vacation....with pumpkin! I don't know HOW I lived my life without out!! It's made it's way into everything these past few days....from a simple side dish, to my cottage cheese, to my sandwiches! Vitamin A deficiency? I THINK NOT!

I ate a verrryyyy early lunch today. I have so much to do and so many places to go that I decided to fuel up early so I would be able to do everything as fast and efficient as possible. I am going to be thinking clearly and only clearly today...so take THAT ED!!!

Here's a picture of my breakfast/lunch (it's missing a peach Chobani that I had after my sandwich. Not my favorite, but still so creamy!)

On the left is my breakfast- two clementines and a mug of (half finished) coffee, and a coke zero (I'll explain a bit later). I also had a spoonful of skippy all natural peanut butter....which will be seen later as well. (I recommend reading on...you WON'T be disappointed!)
On the RIGHT is my lunch. Two slices of Ezeikial toast- one topped with pumpkin and a slice of veggie turkey, the other with just veggie turkey, and some pumpkin on the side. Needless to say, that extra pumpkin made it directly onto the other, bare, slice of toast. It was so good!

BRACE YOUSELF FOR THE BEST COOKIE EVER!!!

Once again...this isn't my recipe exactly. I closed the webpage where I found it, so I don't know WHO to give credit to! But if this is your recipe, please tell me so I can give you credit for it!

I did make a few changes to it though....

Wondering what it is?! A vegan (except for the choco chips!) peanut butter filled, chocolate cookie! That's right folks....like a reeses in cookie form....except better!



There's peanut butter in there, trust me! I cracked one open to take a picture of it...but the moment I saw all of that peanut butter and chocolate chip goodness, I couldn't resist popping it into my mouth! Maybe the next time I munch on one, I'll have enough will power to take a picture before eating it =] It's been a long time since I allowed myself a cookie...but it's so much easier when they are vegan AND I spent an hour slaving over them. It was well deserved.

Now for a couple more pictures-












(For some reason after I add photo's my computer hyperlinks everything! I don't have time to figure out why though...so I apologize!)

My computer stopped underlining? I am so confused!!!

Here is the recipe, for all those interested. I did make two changes though. First of all, I used vanilla soymilk since I don't drink the regular kind! And I also don't have parchment paper...so I just spritzed the pan with a little Pam and it worked wonderfully!

Vegan Peanut Butter Filled Chocolate Cookies
Makes about 26 cookies

1 ½ cups flour
½ cup cocoa powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup margarine
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup soy milk
½ cup powdered sugar
½ cup peanut butter
1/3 cup chocolate chips



* Mix flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda in a bowl.
* In a separate bowl, cream together the margarine, sugar, and brown sugar. When combined, mix in the soy milk.
* Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix.
* In a separate bowl, mix the powdered sugar and peanut butter with a spoon or your hands.When ingredients are incorporated, add the chocolate chips and knead further with your hands to incorporate the chocolate chips.
* Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
* Take about a 2 or 3 tablespoons of the chocolate dough in your hand, and roll into a ball.Flatten the ball on the parchment paper to form a disk. Take a pinch or about 1 teaspoon of the peanut butter mixture and place in the center of the disk. Fold the edges of the disk up and over the peanut butter, pressing the seams together. Place the cookie seam-side down on the parchment paper to bake.
* Bake for 8-12 minutes in a preheated 350° oven.




OH. And it clearly didn't make 26 cookies =] I only used 2 TBS of the chocolate cookie dough per one tsp of the filling. Alterations will be necessary next time!

I hope you don't mind a little more rambling! I'll try to make it short.
I don't want this to sound lame in any sense, but Lee of For The Love of Peanut Butter has truly inspired me to move forward with my disease! In fact (I don't know if you know this Lee!) I have been reading her blog for over a month now, and this past Monday I had the first positive doctors appointment (ie. I gained a little! I need to gain A LOT more, but I did that little bit completely on my own- no parents!) in about 2 years! And I give a lot of the credit to her, because she's such a positive thinker, and I admire her to the extreme!

Last night I was sitting on the couch with my family. We had just put up the christmas tree (it's fake because my dog enjoys eating things!), decorated it, ate a dinner of leftovers, and were now all watching a movie and relaxing together. Well, I had my laptop next to me and a few ideas popped into my head. Ideas....or rather, goals. I am tired of having ED control my life! So I thought about things I am going to change in my life. That's right...me. Not ED. And these are a few I came up with:

1. I am going to start drinking less diet soda, and hopefully I can eventually cut it out. It's embarressing at times as to how much I drink. And can in no way be healthy! My sisters boyfriend picked me up a pack of those little Coke Zeros that you see in the first picture on here...and I don't like to waste so I am finishing those up and then no more for me! ED wants me to drink them so I feel less hungry, and then when I get bloated he says it's because I am fat. Well ED...NO MORE DIET SODA FOR YOU!!!!

2. Still eat fruit, but don't eat it as snacks simply because it feels safe. If I feel my stomach grumbling, I walk to the kitchen and immediately eat fruit. Fruit, fruit, fruit! All my calories seem to come from fruit! And I never feel satisfied after I eat it, unless it's accompanied by something else.

3. No going to bed hungry!

4. Try cooking more and experimenting with flavors. This blog is going to help me with that...and in fact, it already has! Lara bars, and peanut butter filled cookies? I would have never thought! And actually, I shared this goal with my mom and she told me that when I come home for christmas break we can make a trip to whole foods (it's a good 45 minutes away....so it really IS a trip!!) I started making a small list of things I want to pick up...but I would LOVE LOVE LOVE (!) some more ideas. Even if you aren't sure if I would like it.

So far I only have two things:

Peanut Butter & Co. Mighty Maple PB
Extra-Firm Tofu


Sorry for the long post! I just needed to get everything out! Enjoy your day everyone!


11 comments:

  1. I just discovered your beautiful blog, and I'm so glad I did! I am so inspired by your powerful words and goals! and your PB cookies look absolutely heavenly... WOW! I can't wait to try the recipe soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It hyperlinks everything because you haven't closed the image hyperlink tag. So, after < /a > (minus the spaces) is where you want to start having the text. Usually if you are using an editor rather than writing your own HTML, by simply pressing "ENTER" after your image, it will automatically read it as closing the hyperlink tag, and starting off with a new paragraph. If instead, you pressed "shift" and "enter" at the same time, it would hyperlink all the rest of the text.. Or so, that is what would occur in Wordpress.

    Anyhow, enough about HTML... THOSE COOKIES LOOK SO YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sharon- I'll try my best to make sure it doesn't happen in any more posts. I don't use any HTML tags...blogger just inserts them on it's own. I went back to edit it and "enter" after the pictures but nothing changed. Oh well...next time!

    And the cookies taste even better than they look! I highly recommend them. =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura,
    I also just fell in love with pumpkin over the break also! I went to whole foods for the first time a few days ago and it was amazing. i was so overwhelmed by all of the amazing healthy foods and products.. some of my new/old favorites that i recommend you try- peanut butter puffins cereal, almond butter, agave nectar, amy's soups, amy's frozen meals and burritos (great for dorm cooking), annie's whole wheat mac n cheese, greek yogurt (ive only tried chobani with fruit and they are great), tomato basil hummus!!!, or any hummus for that matter, kashi crackers, whole wheat frozen waffles, ahh i could keep going! and im probably forgetting some good ones, but i hope that helps. im sure youll love whole foods! looks like some great goals, im sure your going to do a good job sticking with them too! good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GIRL!!!!! this is such such such such such a wonderful post. i feel the same about pumpkin. exactly the same. my older sis and i have been adding pumpkin to everything my mother even joked that she hopes pumpkin does not find its way into our apple crisp come thanksgiving. hahaa! ive been adding it to yogurt, cottage cheese, oats, dinner, sandwhiches, apples, pb!! so delicious! and i just want to say that taking away diet soda is soo good- i did that just by simply discontinuing adding them to the grocery list. if they are not around u will not drink them. also, alot of bloggers do not drink them i see now ( i am more in touch with my hunger bc i am not bloated from the carbonation)--and also soda is not a real drink-it is CHEMICALS mixed together to taste like the coca cola company's flavor of coke. does that wig u out? cause it does for me--like coca cola is not an actual flavor---strange.

    fruit is another thing that popped out at me----I do the same, always grabbing an apple, a banana, grapes, an orange. i am trying to pair that up now..


    last, but not least, going to be hungry is still an issue for me at times. i have found i sleep so much better when i do not. i think i told you this but in the beginning of college when i was still restricting i'd go to bed starving and wake up at 3 or 4 am and make food. my roomie must have thought i was pyscho! now i eat at around 630 or 7 which is much more normal. but i stll get afraid at night and i also LOVEEE breakfast and having an appetite so i know thats partly why. we can work on these things together---u are awesome and i cant believe u made pb filled cookies.

    whole foods will be fun-i got both those things and u wont be disappointed! i also suggest brown cow maple yogurt from WF if u like yogurt :-) not too sweet and very very creamy--hmmm!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, those cookies look delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

    I love your goals! You're such an inspiration! Whole Foods is about an hour away from me and it's totally worth the trip. I love experiementing with new things. You'll totally love Mighty Maple PB. Definitely try a variety of Larabars, cereals (PB puffins, Kashi), granolas (I got a good kind from WF that VeggieGirl recommended-check out my old post), greek yogurts, amy's or annie's products are all great. Hope this extends your shopping list a bit!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. PUMPKIN!! COOKIES!! Holy yum :-)

    Best of luck with your goals!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE pumpkin! The cookies sound amazing :)

    Good luck with your list, it sounds like a great start!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kmkiely- thank you for all those great recommendations! I've actually been to Whole Foods before, but I can only go every once in awhile, and it's been way too long since I last went! I'm really curious as to what agave nectar is though. I see it used EVERYWHERE in the blog world, and I've never heard of it before.

    Lee- Today starts my "No drinks made with super weird chemicals" day. AKA- no soda! Thanks for putting that in perspective...it isn't even appealing any more =P

    You did mention going to bed hungry to me before. That's something that used to be used as a punishment for kids a long time ago! You know, when mother's would punish their kids by not feeding them dinner so they would need to go to bed hungry? You are the LAST person who should be punished!! And I bet you that even if you had a small snack before bed so your tummy wasn't grumbling, you would still wake up the next day ready for your amazing bowl of oats!

    It's SO funny that you recommended that yogurt, because when I saw you eating it the other day I definitely wrote it down and made a special trip to a super stop & shop in Massachusetts (they have lots of organics) to find it. But they didn't have it!!! I was so upset. I really want to try it, so thanks for reminding me to put it on my Whole Foods list. I can't wait!

    Michelle- thanks for those ideas! I definitely want to try new kinds of granola. My mom always buys the cheapest ones which are usually LOADED with sugar. I am definitely going to find a more naturally sweetened one at WF. And PB puffins? AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey laura!
    i really enjoyed reading this post. You are making such huge strides with recovery. It amazes me! I think coming up with a list of goals is awesome. Ditching the diet soda sounds like a great start. It will help your stomach feel a lot better I bet, too.
    I totally understand the 'going to bed hungry' thing. A lot of people with EDs think they will gain weight in their sleep and wake up with added pounds, so it makes sense that we want to go to bed without food in our stomachs. Its definitely something to work towards. I still struggle with this A LOT. I understand totally :)
    AND congrats about the positive doctors visit! yay !!
    love, ames

    ReplyDelete
  11. ps, is it okay if i add you to my blogroll!?

    ReplyDelete