Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Life Lessons from a Yoga Instructor

Why have I never attended a Yoga class before?! Tonight was amazing. But before I go into detail about that, I'm going to share a few challenges that I overcame throughout the day. (all phone pictures though...sorry!)

First of all. Here we have a LUNA Cookie's and Cream Delight. What's so special about this bar? Well, it's special because I ate it this morning, in class, when I wasn't planning on it. ED doesn't LIKE morning snacks. He thinks it goes breakfast, lunch, and THEN a snack. I definitely threw him off course with this baby!!


This afternoon I nuked another Sweet P. And look! It's orange =). I'm not going to lie, I was crossing my fingers for another yellow one!!!

Now let me explain my goal for today. I know I've mentioned this numerous times, but just as a reminder- I've found myself stuck in this rut where I restrict all day and then the night time comes and I find myself STARVING and gobble down so much food that I feel sick, and disgusted with myself the next morning (now, I don't consider this a binge because it's normal amounts spread over a couple of hours. But it's still A LOT.) So today, I worked on upping my intake throughout the day , so by the time the nighttime comes I do not feel famished. The verdict? IT WORKED!!! I'm still going to have a snack (of course!) but only one. I'm so at peace right now- sipping my tea, and blogging.
So onto this sandwich. I felt like a sandwich for dinner so I ran with it. My roommate was watching me with the phone though so I didn't "pose" it for everyone, but it's tofurkey slices on wheat bread with mustard, spinach, and tomato. With some mixed veggies on the side of course =]

Now Onto the Yoga Lesson!!

So the Yoga club is almost strictly a relaxation/meditation/breathing yoga, which I think is exactly what I needed. It was about an hour and 20 minutes of stretching and breathing and just learning to listen to our bodies and be at peace with ourselves. Our instructor was exactly how I would have picture him- older, with a long white beard and some...."hippie-ish" clothes. <3 I loved it. Well, at the end of the class he gathered everybody and simply explained the origins of yoga and how it is used to cleanse the body. In the midst of his lesson he mentioned that "Every single thought you have, effects everyone." WOW. This quote felt like a slap in the face, but not in a bad way! Just in the way that quotes FULL of meaning seem to leave you speechless and deep in thought. Every. SINGLE. thought that I have effects everyone? Well...what exactly does this mean? Well, I think it means that if you really want something, you need to think about having it...and how it effects everyone. If you really want a relationship, THINK about that relationship happening. Don't think about how much you wish you could have it, or how it would be terrible to be alone. Think about the positive things, because they GLOW, and people with glowing thoughts, glow with confidence to the public eye.

All of my negative thoughts. They have affected my family, my friends, myself, my doctors, even you girls here. The same goes for my positive thoughts as well. I am always so careful with what I say out loud, but I always forget to be careful for what I THINK. People may not be able to hear it in the literal sense, but my actions that are driven by my thoughts SPEAK to them in a different way.

I hope this makes sense.

One more positive thing. Look really close at this picture (which was taken in January) and you will see ROBINS in CONNECTICUT! Hello, Spring!

14 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you for conquering so many challenges today Laura! and I am SO GLAD you decided to go to Yoga! This message is just fabulous and extremely powerful! It really reminds me of the book "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne. It's all about the "law of attraction" and the power of positive thinking - it really is wonderful and i definitely recommend it if you can find time to read with your busy schedule! Check out this website if you're interested for a more indepth summary...

    http://thesecret.tv/

    enjoy the rest of your night, girl.. love you! <3 xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a real believer in the power of POSITIVE thinking...what our subconscious mind thinks, we become! :) :) Yoga sounded so wonderful tonight!

    I am proud of you for fighting Ed and doing what you knew what right for YOUR BODY...having that mid morning snack when you are hungry is honoring your body, deprivation is Ed!

    Enjoy your evening hun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats great how you overcame your challenges! You should be really pround because it's a big step!

    glad you enjoyed yoga!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! I'm really proud of you for taking charge and eating more earlier in the day. I used to be guilty of exactly the same thing, and I've really tried to stop that from happening -- and it does work! Lots of positive thoughts from here on out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hell yeahh for ct!


    u need that morning snack! shut the fuck up ed!!


    thats my clif/larabar time<333

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW---amazing quote from the instructor, and your interpretation of it is even more meaningful! yes, it makes sense! im so happy you had a relaxing time at yoga :) and, good job at balancing out your food! im so proud :D

    lol @ "posed" sandwiches...*guilty*

    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great yoga! I've never tried that yogurt you suggested. Where can I find it? I'd love to try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're amazing Laura! You're so strong, and so proud of you!!!

    Tasty eats, as always!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY LAURAAA! this post made me smile in all sorts of ways!

    you definitely know i can relate with you about the "over eating at night" thing... like i mentioned in the facebook message i sent you a while back.. but ever since i started monitoring my intake through out the day, i haven't had that problem! so good for you for figuring out the problem and working hard to FIX IT! <33333

    ReplyDelete
  10. yay for morning snacks!! stay strong babe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I NEVER thought of that before..with the thinking affecting others. How powerful. Spread those meals out girl! Keep it up yooo
    love youuu

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love his quote! what a wonderful thing to think about, and what a great way to grow and change, if people take his words to heart. this is something i'll be thinking about for the rest of the day, i can tell.
    i'm glad you had a great experience with your yoga class! i am still looking around for one in my area, but i can definitely keep practicing in the comfort of my dorm room :)
    lastly--yay for spring in the north! i can't wait for the sun to come back.
    have a lovely, lovely wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Positivity is key :)

    Yummy eats - that Luna bar reminds me of a cookies and creme flurry from DQ!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yoga is friendship, love, and bliss. These are just some of the many things that this treasured tradition gives. The yoga teacher is someone who is perceived to be a sage - a person full of knowledge about harmony and balance. It's quite good that you recognize how positive thinking affects the people around you. Here's to more success!

    ReplyDelete